EXCERPTS FROM THEIR WEBSITE: In 1928 a small group of immigrants, mostly from Middle East organized to raise money for an Orthodox Christian Church in Houston, Texas in order to keep the faith of their fathers. Fund raising for this great endeavor was taken on by the Ladies Altar Society thru their cooking and selling Middle-Eastern specialties. By 1936 the faithful of St. George were able to purchase a building on the corner of Chestnut and Harrison Streets in Houston�s north side. The Church was dedicated on May 3, 1936.
Since this time St. George has continually grown physically and spiritually with an influx of immigration from the Holy Land & the Middle East and other predominantly Orthodox countries (Bulgaria, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, etc�) as well many homegrown converts to this ancient faith. In 1983 with the Church once again being full wall to wall, it was decided to begin mission churches in areas of Greater Houston, the first being St. Anthony in Spring. St. George still grew and in 1992 the mission of St. Joseph was established to serve the faithful on Houston�s west side. Finally, in 2001 the mission of the Holy Forty Martyrs was founded to serve the faithful of the Sugar Land area.
We owe our continued progress to our founders and to our current members for glorifying God and giving our posterity a solid foundation to build upon! Glory be to God!